Sunday, August 03, 2008

Fallen sick...

I have fallen sick just when I turned 8 month old.
What a sign...

Poor Mummy, Daddy & Grandma were so worried for me!

At midnight, 31 July 2008, I was hot on the head. Mummy took my temperature under the armpit. It was measured 37.1 degree celsius. Everything else being normal. I was nursed to sleep nevertheless. Thereafter, Mummy took my temperature diligently every hour.

Coming close to 4a.m, my body had radiated more heat.. By then, Mummy took my temperature the fourth time & realised it was 37.9 degree celsius! (Yes, u can imagine how worried she became.) I was still sleeping rather soundly though. I guess my antibodies were doing their job, fighting the virus, causing me to be drowsy while they were at work!

Anyway, paracetamol was on its way.. I had a small dose of 2.5ml. Daddy held me in his arms while Mummy fed me with the pink & sweet syrup in a little pink medicine spoon given by the clinic.

I had a good sleep til 9.45a.m. while Daddy and Mummy were already busy at work! The day went on.. my temperature was fluctuating - like going on a roller-coaster! It rose to 38.2 degree celsius at one point! Grandma fed me with another dose of paracetamol to get my temperature down.

By 2.30p.m, Mummy had rushed home to take care of me. And of course, I yearned for her warmth & touch, especially during my vulnerable time.. I had her 100% attention. She nursed me, sponged me, bathed me (a quickie bath to get my temperature down) & fed me. She had even bought a brand new Braun ear thermometer (so.. so expensive!) to get a more accurate reading of my temperature. She took down every minute detail of my movement for the rest of the day. I was given a fever patch on the forehead - supposed to bring down my temperature, too! It was cOoL...

Being cautious & not taking any chances, Mummy stayed home with me on 1 August, a Friday. She continued to monitor me. I was taken to the Baby & Child clinic in the afternoon, after Daddy rushed home to pick us up.

Dr Loke told Mummy & Daddy that I had viral infection & the little red spots on my body was viral rashes. They came on after my fever subsided. It was a good sign. Mummy checked with her the necessary precaution to take. Here's her reply, "Avoid crowded places. This kind of virus is air-borne. When your child inhales, the virus will get into her body." I was prescribed calamine lotion for my rashes.

Just when Daddy and Mummy thought everything was going fine, I began to develop cough on Saturday, 2 August. It was mild at first, with a few which I forced out. It got me more attention. *Gee*

The coughing episodes became more frequent as the night approached. By 10p.m, I was sneezing and coughing every few minutes. Mummy & Daddy stayed by my side to monitor me. I was fussy. Everything became uncomfortable for me. And I had my third poo - really big poo! (And really smelly!) Mummy was trying her best to clean me up while I twisted & turned under the running tap. (Mind you, the water is cold!)

I was then changed into a new set of rompers and fed with cough syrup before I was tucked to bed. The night went on quite smoothly for Mum & Dad, except for a few times when I woke up for milk. Mummy nursed me on demand, as usual.

I woke up at 7a.m. this morning for another feed of medicine - cough syrup & runny nose syrup. I was fully awake by 9a.m. rolling happily on the bed, bumping into Mum & Dad. Mummy eventually gave in & woke up. She played with me for a while before 'delivering' me to Grandma for cereal breakfast.

Strangely, my appetite is not much affected. I eat well. But my runny nose seems to get worse today. In fact, it only started in the wee hours this morning! (I was only sneezing yesterday.) Mummy seems to be infected by me. Her throat is not feeling well. She is rather groggy today. The weather plays a part, too! (So humid & warm!)


I hope I will recover soon. If not, Mum & Dad will be doubly busy - with work & me! I do not want them to fall sick, like me... If that happens, no one to play with me... =(

No comments: